AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

my rant- loftquist-schaffert closing wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

brewster
Posted 4/7/2011 22:22 (#1713554)
Subject: my rant- loftquist-schaffert closing wheels

NW Kansas
Is anyone else using these metal closing wheels that bolt in place of the rubber on the standard JD closing wheel? Are you getting along OK with them? We installed a set last year and really loved the performance of them. However when going through the planter this week we found that they were loose in the two plastic halves of the JD wheel. We checked the bolt tightness and they were all tight. Purchased new bolts and nuts and they will still slip in the wheel. Called Loftquist and they said all you have to do is grind a little off of the little teats that fit together in the wheel and it will tighten right up. We went to grinding several wheels only to find that it does not help, the wheel does pinch any tighter now matter how much you take off of them. Did some measuring and found the wheel were all worn from the metal center sliding around. They are ruined after one season. The center of the Loftqust metal insert has 3'16 of an inch play from where it fits around the plastic halves. the same on a new wheel. Called the company again, and out of 40,000 sold we have the only problem, they have never heard of it. Was told all the things we must of done wrong, from not lining us the teats(dowels) to not tightening the bolts and many other things that make you feel like they think you a moron. If I buy new closing wheels and put there inserts in them it is pretty pricy, and I feel like I will be in the same shape next year. Any one else ever have this problem? Any solutions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)