AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White vs Vac JD Meter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

zkeele
Posted 1/21/2011 10:27 (#1562912)
Subject: White vs Vac JD Meter

Tennessee
I have always used a White planter, but bought a vac Deere this Fall because it was so cheap. I really only intend to use it this year, and then sell it for a White 12 row. The Deere requires more oil flow, and is vacuum instead of positive air pressure so the Deere puts more stress on the tractor's hydraulic system. The Deere also has to have the seals replaced periodically, so there is a little more maintenance. You also have to buy esets or constantly adjust vac settings to have the best results planting corn. These added annoyances have me wondering why anyone would buy the Deere if they can get a White at the same price.

My main question is have there been scientific studies comparing singulation of the White meter vs. the John Deere vac meter? Can anyone show me these unbiased tests? If the Deere does outperform the White, does the performance outweigh the extra wear/tear on equipment, added Deere maintenance, cost of esets?

I'm honestly wanting to get an answer to this before I spend much money on my Deere.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KFFarm
Posted 1/21/2011 10:33 (#1562922 - in reply to #1562912)
Subject: Re: White vs Vac JD Meter

South Central Illinois
Tell us again why you bought it??? : )
zkeele
Posted 1/21/2011 10:51 (#1562959 - in reply to #1562922)

Tennessee
$3000 for a 12 row 30 in good shape. I guess I've already answered my own question...lol.
Oliver1
Posted 1/21/2011 11:14 (#1563007 - in reply to #1562912)
Subject: RE: Obviously, you missed this thread...

Alton, Ia
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=199467&mid=146...

:)
Virginia Veg.
Posted 1/21/2011 11:54 (#1563089 - in reply to #1562912)
Subject: RE: White vs Vac JD Meter

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
Nice White commercial. I never had a white, so I won't say anything bad about it other than its an Agco product. I don't think the Deere vac is very much maintenance at all. We run some for 15 or 18 years without a seal failure. I replaced one hyd motor seal once after all those years, and it was very easy anyway. I don't know why everyone thinks they use so much oil. Maybe a 24 row does, but a single fan on a 12 row can be run on a 4430 that is 35 years old and it works fine. I think a vacuum is less likely to have issues than a positive pressure system, but to each his own. The reason I'd buy a Deere instead of a white is because I've never even seen one in the southeast, so they don't exactly have plentiful dealers. Plus you have to deal with AGCO, so that's another good reason, plus there aren't as many aftermarket parts or attachments. If someone told you an Eset won't plant accurate enough, they're either too picky, or don't know how to use it. I'll tell you what, you email me a picture of that planter, and maybe I'll take it off your hands without you having been hurt too bad.
zkeele
Posted 1/21/2011 13:36 (#1563251 - in reply to #1563089)

Tennessee
I'm using it this year. I just wonder if I should spend extra money on the planter for esets etc. Or just do some minor stuff this year and sell it for the White. My mind is not completely made up. Lots of White planters here (By my other posts, I guess it is known that I am a White guy, so bear with me).

I guess I should rephrase one of my questions, Will eset meters outperform the White meter when both are set up properly. I have not ran the planter yet, so I don't know how much more oil the planter actually uses, I just am going by what I have heard on this board. My main concern is meter performance.

If you would like to buy it after May 1st, I will probably be ready to sell it. It is a nice shed kept 7300. Just a little faded since it was in Alabama.
4ethanol
Posted 1/21/2011 13:45 (#1563262 - in reply to #1563251)

Hoxie, KS, Northwest Kansas
In my opinion if you own a deere vac planter you should put the esets on it. They are way more accurate than traditional. Now to your question of is esets better than a white i cant say cause no one out here has a white. but on my planter (home built twin row) I have had time and time again where my esets have placed the seed within 1" of exactly where it needs to be and most of the time it is less than 1/2". But I am also picky with making sure everything is perfect so that the stand is exactly even. hope this helps and good luck with your john deere.
wide spot
Posted 1/21/2011 14:13 (#1563310 - in reply to #1562912)

If you liked the white meters you will be a bit dispointed with the standard jd vac meters. We ran a white for 10+ years on a jd 4430 and really liked it. The meters were simple and seemed very accurate, seems like the only thing that wore out were the gound drive wheel clutches. The biggest drawback to the white planter was cleaning out the seed meters and boxes when changing hybrids and planting seed corn. We currently have a jd 16-30 vac planter. Have ran it 2 years now with the original 30 cell vac meters. It can be a challange to get the vacumn dial in to match the set population rate. Havent had to replace any meter parts yet. We are going to be installing esets this year because our seed size varies so much. I don't know if we would be replacing the orginals if not for seed corn. If the white metering units were easier to clean out would consider buying another one.
hogwilddale
Posted 1/21/2011 14:14 (#1563312 - in reply to #1563251)

Southwest,MN
White planters do a good job if you have round seed but flats they struggle. We have a white but I wish we had a deere with E-sets in because they will plant any seed size and you will get the picket fence stand!!
jfg5
Posted 1/21/2011 17:45 (#1563630 - in reply to #1562912)

Haven't seen a study on this topic. I went from a JD 7200 vac to a white 6xxx series. In my experience, I had higher maintenance costs with the JD. I thought my stand was better with the white. A white requires no talc or grafite. The vac requires more pressure and that fact looms large if you ever get a break in your air line ( like in the line to an individual planting unit). I plant ungraded corn seed (as far as seed size goes). I have found the small seed disks plant the best regardless of seed size. The white manual states that rounds are the best seed size. My planter is the only Agco product I own while I have two JD tractors and a Deere combine ( I am not a White/Agco nut). I don't know why white planters are not more popular,
zkeele
Posted 1/21/2011 18:06 (#1563661 - in reply to #1563312)

Tennessee
If you were closer, I would trade with you.
Kooiker
Posted 1/21/2011 20:17 (#1563889 - in reply to #1563630)

jfg5 - 1/21/2011 16:45  I don't know why white planters are not more popular,

Because they're not sold by JD.

Seriously, if JD had started selling planters with the White meter on it instead of finger pickups there likely wouldn't be another company building planters anymore.

The White meter is that simple and good.

wide spot
Posted 1/21/2011 22:02 (#1564141 - in reply to #1563889)

deere planter/white meter were dose the line form? I would try to be the first.
Kooiker
Posted 1/21/2011 22:40 (#1564214 - in reply to #1564141)

I'm at the front of the CIH early riser unit with a White meter on a Kinze twin line toolbar line.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)