AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Western Roto Thresh combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim in Sask
Posted 1/17/2011 20:47 (#1555306)
Subject: Western Roto Thresh combine

In one of the interesting threads on Deere rotary combine patents by Dan_wcIN, mention was made of the Western Roto Thresh combine. I've scanned some pages of brochures of these short-lived combines if anyone's interested.

The first picture is the cover of the production machine's 20-page brochure. The second picture is a cutaway drawing and summary of specifications. The third picture is of an earlier development machine which was displayed in the early 1970's at the Saskatoon Exhibition.

The earlier brochure includes some history: The 'Rotary Drum Separator'
was first developed by some Manitoba farmers whose idea was to eliminate high-wear reciprocating parts. Four prototypes were built and tested, eventually in 1968 a company was formed to further research the idea. During the following five years 5 prototypes were built and tested. In 1971 a public company under the name Western Roto Thresh Ltd. was formed. The sales office and manufacturing plant were set up at 818 - 43rd St. E. in Saskatoon.

A letter with one of my brochures, dated March 1976, indicates a price of $41,670. PAMI field tested the production machine in 1977 at which time the price was $51,900. The PAMI test number is E0777C and is likely available on-line if anyone wishes to google it.

I'm not sure about what caused the eventual demise of the company but the early '80s farm economy downturn and 23% interest rates probably contributed to it.

(Roto Thresh 1 reduced.jpg)

(Roto Thresh 2 reduced.jpg)

(Roto Thresh 3 reduced.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Roto Thresh 1 reduced.jpg (53KB - 531 downloads)
Attachments Roto Thresh 2 reduced.jpg (78KB - 535 downloads)
Attachments Roto Thresh 3 reduced.jpg (77KB - 492 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)