AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NFMS - ISO 11783 at work???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Land_Surfer
Posted 2/19/2007 15:11 (#107522)
Subject: NFMS - ISO 11783 at work???

I just got in from the NFMS a couple days back. While there, I noticed that all of the major (and some minor) equipment manufacturers had placed a much stronger emphasis on their new color touch screen monitors, auto-steering systems and updated precision farming systems and service offerings.  But where is the emphasis on compatibility (ISO11783)?

• Deere: New APEX software; Greenstar2 monitor; OptiGro imagery and consultancy service (this, and other like services from Deere concern me)...
  • CaseIH: New color touch and non-touch monitors, farming out the support of their version of AL's SMS software to Ag Leader (smart move, equipment mfg's do not need to be in the desktop software production and support business); stronger emphasis placed on the use of Trimble technology...
  • New Holland: Strong approach with Trimble auto steering and new monitors
  • AGCO: new color touch screen monitors; yield sensor; new desktop software from Farm Works; new technology coming for its Auto-Guide system; Beeline Arro; almost too many monitor options really. 
  • Lexion: optional factory installed Ag Leader Insight with SMS basic; Farm Works software with the Lexion yield monitor; compatible with the Beeline Arro and the Trimble auto-steering via the Ag Leader Insight etc. 

They [mfg's] all portray a positive outlook, but how is their ability to communicate together?  Can they?  Is it possible, yet, to plug an AL Insight into a Deere tractor and run a CaseIH planter without complication?  For example, my in-home entertainment center is comprised of:

• Samsung DLP TV (i.e., the monitor segment)
  • Motorola cable box (i.e, the GPS segment)
  • Panasonic Home Theatre system (i.e, the sensory segment)
  • Sling box (i.e, FODD) ties the system to the home PC anywhere high speed is available
  • Standard DVD ready, but able to read DVD digital as standard quaility (i.e, the storage medium)
  • All of the above is interoperable using simple/basic "off-the-shelf" Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. cables, connectors, etc.

The root cause of most precision farming system complications and customer dis-satisfaction is the lack of compatibility between competitive systems.  Deere's solution is to go all Deere wrapped in Greenstar, but that simply is not possible for the (moral) majority, nor is it practical to even think it's possible.  Locking one's self to a single brand of machinery results in that brand being the "majority share holder" in your operation - Old and New school tells us that shopping around is the best solution. Any thoughts on what happened to the pursuit of ISO 11783?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)