AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dealer Auctions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hb35
Posted 2/14/2010 15:10 (#1074350)
Subject: Dealer Auctions

west TN
The big sale in Ripley, TN referred to in the other posts was a dealer auction by the new "mega" dealer in west TN. They have acquired almost every dealership in west tn. Most of the equipment was trade-ins, off of the various lots that the dealer owns. They also had a sale like this last year.

My question is, can the dealer survive in the long run, just auctioning off so many trade-ins. I don't really know how dealers move the trade-ins that they take in. I know on combines, at another regional dealer we deal with, the 1st year combine trade-in is sold to second owner before it's even out of the field, and the second is about the same.

It just seems like dumping that much inventory each year, they would be taking a beating. I know they are, because one of the 4720's in the auction was mine that I had just traded in December, and l'll just say i felt alot better with my trade after I saw what it brought. I went over just to see if what they gave us for it was close to what it would bring, and I left very happy.

Anyway, Deere's policy of consolidation is i'm sure easier for them, but looks like they better have some sharp businessmen running these "mega" dealers, cause what happens if they hit a rough spot, or run one of these in the ground??? Is it like a Fannie Mae situation? What would happen if they did go under??

Edited by hb35 2/14/2010 15:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)