AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Roof rake or scraper????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

fuelfarmer
Posted 2/11/2010 09:36 (#1069535)
Subject: Roof rake or scraper????

Virginia

Is there a device on the market that can remove snow from a roof. Something that would mount to a loader or excavator and drag the snow off without tearing up the roof.

I know a lot of shovels can get the job done if you have the help, but it would be nice not to have to get on the roof. We operate 5 poultry houses that are 624 ft. long and I can't see shoveling them all by hand.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sledge
Posted 2/11/2010 09:44 (#1069554 - in reply to #1069535)
Subject: Re: Roof rake or scraper????

Extreme SW Minnesota Iowa border
I made this one a while back. feel free to copy it. If you have an question, feel free to ask. Or if you need a better picture just ask.

Edited by Sledge 2/11/2010 09:46

(Roof Rake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Roof Rake.jpg (25KB - 99 downloads)
Delmarva Ag
Posted 2/11/2010 10:03 (#1069586 - in reply to #1069535)
Subject: RE: Roof rake or scraper????

Seaford, Delaware
http://www.roofrake.com/

I found this website while searching yesterday!

Alan
KRK
Posted 2/11/2010 10:24 (#1069617 - in reply to #1069535)

1 1/4 mile south of Tedbear
We are going to try a commercial air compressor tomorrow. Don't know if it's going to work but hopefully easier than shoveling.
95h
Posted 2/11/2010 10:45 (#1069639 - in reply to #1069535)

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

Have been thinking about how snow could be removed fairly quickly from roofs and remembered the old mortar boards used for unloading semi's.

It was a good sized piece of alumimum with handles on top a cable winch pulled the board pushing alot of grain out the back end of flatbed semi's.  Something like that only with wheels on the bottom (prevent roof from being scraped up)  Vehicle with winch or rope attached to tractor loader. Starting at the roof peak 1 pass slide snow off to bottom.

Downside would be a guy would have to actually be on the roof to guide the board and hold it in the right position. 

Someone built a rake for telehandler that also "floats" on roof so roof isn't damaged. It removes snow pretty fast.

Big aircompressor is an idea, hopefully works fairly quick.

Not alot of fun however it's done. Best of luck !

OMC260
Posted 2/11/2010 22:03 (#1070575 - in reply to #1069535)

Sioux Center, Iowa
Someone over here tried air and it didn't work.  Neither do power washers and fire trucks.  Best thing here is a long plastic strip pulled up on the edges to form a trough.  Have 6 or 8 guys spread down the roof shovelling into it, as they move from one end of the building to the other.  A big  snow rake on a telehandler works too, but you have to be careful not to damage the roof.  I've heard of roofs leaking like seives come summer because all the screw heads had been snagged.  I'd like to try mounting one of those truck box vibraters under the roof and just let it slide off!! 
KRK
Posted 2/12/2010 13:30 (#1071510 - in reply to #1069535)

1 1/4 mile south of Tedbear
Air compressor,shovel, and 20" 8hp snowblower. Wasn't much fun but it's done. The snow was 3' deep in places.
plowmaster
Posted 2/15/2010 19:05 (#1076459 - in reply to #1069535)

Sucker brook, NY
can you let heat into the attic to melt the snow?
fuelfarmer
Posted 2/15/2010 19:57 (#1076585 - in reply to #1069535)

Virginia
Yes heat does help a lot if you have heat to spare. We have two 50 x 624 houses that were empty when the snow fell. I did not know if it would be worth burning $1.80 profane, that is propane for those of you that don't have to buy the stuff, just to try to melt some snow. Some people are using the construction lifts with the telescoping booms to scrap snow off of poultry houses.

I think some kind of scraper or a surplus jet engine mounted on the trackhoe boom could be in our future if one could be bought of a good price. A biodiesel fueled turbine blowing snow off of the roof would just be too much fun. I could always nail the ridge cap back on in the spring.
plowmaster
Posted 2/16/2010 06:21 (#1077312 - in reply to #1069535)

Sucker brook, NY
thats an awful lot of truss space to heat. we only need to get snow off of a 44x100, and only where it drifts off of a larger attached barn. lug up the salamander, tarp it off and let er rip. as soon as the snow is sitting on a layer of water watch out, comes off fast. this is the first year i remember since we built that barn in 1990 that we HAVENT had to clear the snow off of that roof. everyone else has all the snow for once.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)