AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me Learn about newer 4WD's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Doug W
Posted 12/22/2009 07:56 (#979382)
Subject: Help me Learn about newer 4WD's

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Continuing to stew about upgrading our main tractor for our dryland organic grain operation...

Currently run 1975 Steiger ST 270 - good old girl - probably 8000 Hrs - alot riding on a 35 yr old tractor...

Sidekick is a 1972 Steiger Cougar I - we're the second owner of the tractor - 10,000 hrs - amazing tractor but when something major finally goes on it .......

Also field a White 2-155 2wd - mainly for IH 1482 combine - re-did motor then got whacked by charge pump in tranny same year - too much in the tractor to ever say goodbye to it - only drawback is that its a little shy of power for the combine....

Main field loads are 37.75 ft air seeder (sweeps/harrows) with ground drive fan, 36' Chisel Plow(cultivator with 16" sweeps) - 25' heavy tandem disk, and 53' harrow/packer with pneumatic seed kit. CougarI can't handle air seeder as a back up, otherwise both 4WD's are interchangable. - ST 270 is auto-steered so its preferred for HP seeding as well.

Had been looking at Case IH 9x30 - lower HP, but somewhat easy to find with powershift and PTO. - Had always thought 9x30's were L-10 engine - but just pulled Nebraska tests & see they're 8.3's - looks like it would be a good combine tractor - & handle 2/3 of tillage - but think it would be disappointing in long run... Had thought powershift may help compensate for lower horses by being able to shift down through knolls/wetter conditions... Then looking at 9x50's - look like more ponies (I think still less displacement than the Cat 3306's in existing Steigers) -but harder to find with PTO/powershift

What is involved in putting a PTO into the 9X series Steigers - been told that its quite modular - have trouble getting my head around how its easily moved from tractors....

Had also looked at Versatiles - 8x6 tractors - but had been warned to stay away from them due to the lack of PTO parts, and the Twindisk transmissions....

Sorry for the long winded post - appreciate any advice/suggestions....

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)