AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Serial port advice?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

farmdog
Posted 8/10/2009 13:06 (#806389)
Subject: Serial port advice?

I've been looking at laptops to replace my old reliable, but none of the cheapies I've looked at has a serial port. Need a serial port to connect to my GPS/guidance stuff.

Is there a simple solution, like a USB to serial converter cable? Thanks in advance! Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
torn
Posted 8/10/2009 13:45 (#806417 - in reply to #806389)
Subject: Re: Serial port advice?

roaming
there are several options

1 - buy a more expensive laptop; there are still some models with integrated serial ports
2 - USB-to-serial adapters; some work better than others. Do a forum search here or on the Precision Talk forum for recommendations
3 - PCMCIA-to-serial adapters; generally more expensive but also more reliable than USB-to-serial adapters. Requires that your laptop have a PCMCIA card slot (newer ones, especially Dells or netbooks, may not)
MisterCMK
Posted 8/10/2009 21:17 (#806821 - in reply to #806389)

Minnesota
Get one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.as...

That is the only USB to serial adapter that I have found that works on just about anything. I program a lot of fire alarms, security systems, etc at work and it works on everything.
joeb
Posted 8/14/2009 18:05 (#811202 - in reply to #806821)

West TN
I just recently bought a cheap PCMCIA to RS232 serial adapter for my laptop to update the firmware our BoomPilot. Only cost $12 off eBay. Straight from Hong Kong. Surprised that it worked, but it ended up working great.
tedbear
Posted 8/15/2009 18:08 (#812242 - in reply to #806389)
Subject: RE: Serial port advice?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
When I decided I wanted a laptop I had the same concerns about a serial port. For this reason I bought a used laptop which was an older IBM. It is aThinkPad that has a true serial port.

Its not as fast as a new one but works out well for my purposes. I use it as my music source (MP3's) in the shop. I can do the various updates/setups that are needed with some of my Precsion equipment (GPS etc.) I have a desktop machine for doing my other computer tasks.

I converted all my music holdings to the MP3 format and have them on an external USB hard drive. I have an older stereo receiver for a sound system and just plug a cable into the laptop headphone jack and run it to a pair of RCA plugs on the receiver which are designated VCR.

I have the computer set to go to the MP3 music folder. I then usually "Play All" at random. Of course I can pick and choose or make a playlist also.

Edited by tedbear 8/15/2009 18:10
sand85
Posted 8/16/2009 12:06 (#812952 - in reply to #806389)

C IL
We use bluetooth serial adapters at work - they're a bit more expensive, but the convenience factor is worth it for us. You can use it with Windows Mobile-type devices if you have need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833139008&nm_...

I'm getting a bit over my head here, but we have encountered some complications using serial adapters (USB/bluetooth) with certain equipment at my internship (something in all of the weather stations/dataloggers/bluetooth GPS/etc). I think maybe the computer semi-permanently assigns some sort of virtual COM port number/ID to every different USB device you attach to the computer. Some devices/software require that number to be low (basically assuming a hardwired serial port is assigned a low number). If you hook up lots of stuff before you hook up your USB serial adapter, it will be assigned a higher number which may not work for some of the aforementioned devices/software. I think we fixed this by going into BIOS or registry and deleting a bunch of the assigned virtual COM ports.

How that I think about it more, it was maybe using a bluetooth GPS receiver to read into ArcGIS 9.x - so maybe a software issue.

Haven't done much with our GPS/guidance stuff at home - haven't needed to use a serial adapter there - but it's information in case someone maybe has some issues with it. I know it took my friend a couple of weeks off and on to track down this problem/solution.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)