AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody else dealing with Grey Leaf Spot?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 7/19/2009 23:19 (#781226)
Subject: Anybody else dealing with Grey Leaf Spot?

Southwest Iowa
After looking at a few fields of corn the past couple days, we've found alot of acres that have grey leaf spot in them. At the moment, most of the disease is located in the lower canopy, below the ear leaf. From what I've been told, depending on weather conditions the next month, the disease can spread higher up into the canopy and thats what causes the most damage to your yield, since the upper leaves provide 70% of sunlight capture for photosynthesis to occur.

Is this something that alot of people are seeing in their fields? Our fertilizer/chemical guy is recommending applying Headline to battle the disease. A few seed dealers are also saying this would be a good idea. But...........

There's been a few people around here say that they're not going to do anything because at $27/acre for the Headline and application, we won't be getting our money back.

You guys that have had to deal with this before, did you go ahead and spray and did you think it was worth it, even at $3 corn? If a guy would leave it as it is and not do anything, how much of a yield loss do you think there could be?

Thanks for any replies! Just trying to get some more info and ideas before I go and talk to my CPS guy again and come up with a game plan.

Marbro1

(Grey Leaf Spot - Haygood (211 x 158).jpg)

(Grey Leaf Spot - Haygood2 (211 x 158).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Grey Leaf Spot - Haygood (211 x 158).jpg (10KB - 198 downloads)
Attachments Grey Leaf Spot - Haygood2 (211 x 158).jpg (10KB - 198 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)