AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom farming and maybe moral concerns with this weather
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

gang greene
Posted 5/16/2009 14:48 (#715503)
Subject: Custom farming and maybe moral concerns with this weather

Northwest Indiana
I custom farm quite a few acres (for me anyway) on the side. I have been doing this for several years, and historically, it was necessary to do this. It is not as essential now in this market place, as well as having some more 50/50 rented acres. Nonetheless, I have continued because it is nice cash flow for machinery payments.

I have never had a contract with this family. Every year, he and his wife and I sit down and they lay out what they would like done. We have had disagreements on the rates in the past, but I have pretty much won that argument with "if you can get someone to do what I do cheaper, then get them. I understand." Well, I have stayed, and I have raised my rates every year the last 3, because the custom farming is a lot of work for very little reward. This last year, I did ask to reduce acres, and they have another farm nearby that someone else custom farmed for them that was willing to take the acres. Our relationship is strictly business. No family or friendship ties.

Once again...no written contract. But the understanding was that I did not do any of their planting until mine was complete, unless ground conditions warranted otherwise. Then I would go and do some of their planting. I also have a sprayer that has done a lot of sitting in the spring and I have had some of my post atrazine/ harness hired by the service company, basically so I could take care of planting their corn. That never really bothered me because it costs plenty to spray on my own, and I would rather be running a planter anyway.

This years dilemma: Obviously we are soaked, and I only have about half of my corn mudded in the ground. By the calendar, I would like to have my beans in the ground a week ago, not to mention the corn still in the bag AND the replanting I will need to do.

If we ever do get back in the field (and I know we will) his wife will be calling wondering when I will be there. It will take me 3 days to finish my corn, and it will take 3 days to plant their corn. I will tell them this, and they will get antsy (understandably). Another little side note, they are certainly capable of retirement and renting the land, but have chosen this custom farming route because, of course, they usually make more money. They are not social or friendly type of people...they are all about business, and don't really have many friends in the area.

I have 2 or 3 days of my own beans to plant after this corn. I normally do this after I do my custom corn planting. With this huge delay and wet spring, I really think that I have to put them off on their corn to take care of me and my 50/50 landlords' beans. They will get crazy mad, and I understand, but once again we don't have a written contract of any sort.

I don't really want to lose this custom work, but I don't need it. In a normal year all works fine. But I am pushing the timing terribly. I don't think they will get anyone to drop what they are doing to go do this custom work, because everyone in our area is spread pretty thin, and I have almost worked all night the 3 days we have been able to run and am ahead of most around here.

I think from a management and profitability point of view that I should plant my beans first. Would anyone like to tell me why I should not. I understand that some may think this to be a little "dirty", but I have way more to lose on 50/50 ground than I do GROSSING $25 an acre with the field cultivator and planter doing custom work. My biggest fear is that after it is all done, they will balk on payment, and it will then get expensive and ugly for me to go after it (because we have nothing in writing) After I here all comments, and decide that I am replanting my corn and planting my beans first, I will give them the heads up that this is or is not what I intend to do...to give them time to absorb it.

Since you all have nothing to do ;~) please tell me that I am right or how I am wrong.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)