AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sick calf advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cattledriver
Posted 3/11/2019 21:05 (#7374516)
Subject: Sick calf advice

Oklahoma
Let me start off by saying I've never had a case like this one and it has pushed me to the breaking point.

Had a calf 6 wks old with white scours in pasture. Calf was looking a little thin but alert. Wasn't as active as the other calves but far from dead. Gave the calf 2 calf scour boluses and a good dose of nuflor. After 2 days no change. Gave 2 more calf scour boluses and a good dose of batryill. 2 more days no change.

Calf is out of a heifer. Got the pair up in a pen. Called vet. He gave me a mixture of basically kaopectate with spectimocyin mixed in to drench the calf and continue with batryill. Did the kaopectate for several days. No change.

I thought that the problem might be with mothers milk. I was feeding pretty hard trying to keep heifers in good body condition for rebreeding. I took her off all cubes/grain and off hay for 3 days. I also checked her milk. No blood, good white color and no sour smell. Her milk looks good and udder is perfect size. Not to be not to small.

Keep in mind it's the only calf that is showing any signs of illness in the pasture. Calfs feces has been white, green, and grey. It changes every few days but stays loose and is diarrhea.

Saturday I went all out. Gave 1000ml IV with dextrose, nuflor, banamine, scour guard. After calf looked better and was pretty peepy. 2 days have gone by. Still scours and back to grey color.

Called vet today and he says for whatever reason calf is not absorbing anything in the gut. I think if this calf lives it will be a chronic and never gain weight. I almost wish the damn thing would die. I'm at the end of my rope.

What did I do wrong? Any advice?

(Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-17-54 (full).png)

(Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-18-07 (full).png)

(Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-18-31 (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-17-54 (full).png (325KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-18-07 (full).png (405KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-18-31 (full).png (159KB - 166 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)