AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ND/MN/IA farming questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 1/31/2009 20:02 (#591687)
Subject: ND/MN/IA farming questions

Rivers, MB
Just got back from 9 day family holiday that included Davenport, IA, Minneapolis, and GrandForks. Great trip, great roads. Couldn't convince my wife to make any "farm" stops besides a combine tour in East Moline. Saw lots of new countryside and have a few questions for my friends from the south.

1. Sugar beet piles - do they need to be cleaned up before it thaws? Does the snow melting into the pile cause it to heat?
2. Malt plants North of Fargo and east of Moorhead. Do they still grow malt barley in those areas. I would have thought that with the high vomi/fusarium levels in wheat and barley, especially in a high moisture area like the Red River valley that no barley would be grown anymore.
3. Where's all the unharvested corn? I think I saw about 4 fields from the Canadian border down till Fargo and then across to Minneapolis. Is it further south into SD?
4. How big a pile of corn is that at the elevator about 30 miles East of Fargo-Moorehead. It looked alot bigger than the piles of grain we have around here. My wild guess is about 1 million bushels. Am I close?
5. Where does everyone in MN and Iowa store their corn/soybeans? I was amazed at how little on farm storage there was from into MN down to Davenport via Minneapolis and Waterloo. I realize that many guys haul straight to the elevator or e-plant but I didn't even see many of those along the way.

I think the nicest biggest fields I saw was between I-35 and Charles City. Some of them looked like they were 1-2 miles square.
Great trip and very friendly people. Nice to be back home though.

Edited by mennoboy 1/31/2009 20:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)