AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Armyworms !
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 9/3/2018 10:18 (#6966797)
Subject: Armyworms !

nw NC
Found them in some late planted corn yesterday. I have been mowing and chopping lush growth of mainly crabgrass for haylage going into silo to feed until corn is ready for silage, about 3 to 4 weeks off. Friday I mowed a field border and travel lane by a small patch ( we have patches here instead of fields) and noticed that some grass between corn rows did not look normal. It had no leaf blades, just stems. Saturday I noticed that some corn blades showed something was feeding on them. Looked closely Sunday and saw that more corn leaves had been devoured with nothing left but the rib. I then saw many caterpillars on the ground and on corn leaves and stalks. I have decided to chop this just now pollinating corn today before it is destroyed. There is about 3/4 acre of it and it is a short stalk 93 day corn , so it will not yield heavily. It will be very high moisture so I intend to load wagons half full of wilted grass haylage and half this wet corn. Moisture of mixture should be satisfactory for fermenting and storage. There will be only about 6 loads of this mixture and I will begin feeding as soon as chopping is complete.

This NK hybrid corn is not BT traited. Another patch, just 18 feet away across the grassed travel lane, is same kind and shows no feeding. As soon as I finish chopping I will mix some insecticide and spray over the stubble and the grass travel lane and field borders next to the woods and a grass patch that I've been mowing. Hopefully that will kill the living caterpillars before they go on the march for new feeding areas. I planted less than a bag of this corn for an early silage harvest to feed until 115 day corn is ready. The 115 day is BT traited so it should not be bothered by armyworms.

Edited by WJKEIGER 9/3/2018 10:22

(007 (Medium) (full).JPG)

(011 (Medium) (full).JPG)

(005 (Medium) (full).JPG)

(012 (Medium) (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 007 (Medium) (full).JPG (98KB - 58 downloads)
Attachments 011 (Medium) (full).JPG (79KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments 005 (Medium) (full).JPG (227KB - 55 downloads)
Attachments 012 (Medium) (full).JPG (211KB - 49 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)