AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time farming questions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Freefall
Posted 12/29/2008 18:54 (#550309)
Subject: First time farming questions?

Located in NW iowa. Soil is clay loam. CEC 30-36. Soil test said Potassium averaged 170ppm. Phos. test olsenP averaged 14ppm soil ph is 7.8. This is low ground, water table is only about 3 feet down so plenty of water. This land has not been farmed in 20+ years. I started cleaning this land up 2 years ago. This last summer bought a small disc an fired up an old MM model U (grandpas) an went at the 50 acres. Also bought a JD 7000 6 row planter. Most of the ground is turned black but some is still not worked. It took forever to work this ground just to much cover an not heavy enough disc or big enough tractor. Anyway this is going to corn. Can't do beans because to much horsetail an would never be able to take beans out with that growing in them. Want to know first about fertilizing. This planter has dry fert. on it with DD openers. How much should I use or can I use, using the planter to put it down? Do I even need to since this land hasn't been farmed in so long. Want to use as little as reasonable with fertilizer prices. Also need to know what seed to use also for my area and what poputaion? Is 33000 the right amount? Is 100-105day the right length? Does seed need to have all the expensive traits for bugs or just a regular RR corn? This land had every weed there is growing on it. Will I have a big weed problem. What is a good weed program? Will I just be able to plant an spray roundup an be done? As you can tell I have never farmed before so any help would be great. I'm sure I've missed other things I need to know so any advise would be helpful.
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)