AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Since my rye grazing went away, here's my new solution
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

blacksand
Posted 12/18/2017 15:27 (#6437565)
Subject: Since my rye grazing went away, here's my new solution

South Dakota
The University of Nebraska in my opinion has the best resources, I find tons of ideas and answers from their website. If you follow the link below, I've done the plan B, Field 1 before where I grazed off wheat, planted a warm season mix, then grazed again in July. I did that on some dryland acres. It worked awesome and the only reason I haven't done it again is I planted some irrigated perennial pasture and have been grazing rye before soybeans, which has been enough to keep my cows grazing. Since I couldn't till in the dairy manure on my rye, I'm going to chop that for silage and now I'm going to use the plan B from the UNL guide under pivot. I'm actually pretty excited to do it, growing corn and beans have become less exciting with prices as they are.

On another note, I turned a group of cattle out on another quarter section of corn stalks. This month marks a new record for me, grazing 11 out of 12 months and in the last two years I've grazed 21 out of 24 months. Hopefully this winter I can keep the girls grazing all winter long, I had a group of 6 that were able to do it last year. The only reason it wasn't 12 of 12 months is I ran out of corn stalk acres. There was also more ears dropped, so cows are getting more out of it. This year I've got far more acres lined up, so hopefully I can do it. This most recent field also marks over 1,000 acres that they've covered between pasture, cover crops, and corn stalks. I'm pretty happy with how the year went, lots to improve yet though.

https://beef.unl.edu/annual-forage-systems-grazing
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)