AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just a thought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

sekansasan
Posted 9/14/2017 13:43 (#6247739)
Subject: Just a thought

Kansas
I was at a meeting tuesday night and the question was brought up if you agree with the USDA report. The one guy also a farmer said I work for USDA and after talking to him he does the NASS counts in the area. He explained how they 15 foot of a row of corn and weigh all the years and send in the results in and how they count pods and so forth.

Couple things I took from the conversation is as of the last report he has only sent in one corn sample which was well below last year for the area but there isn't enough samples sent in to use current data. When he was counting beans he said you had to count every pod even if it wasn't going to make it. He even mentioned they count pods that are on the ground. He says they are using last years yield for the area till the plants make maturity to take the samples. So they are using last years yields in their formulas till the fields reach the point to send in samples.

He also mentioned that they eliminated one check for beans. Something about taking the average pod and measuring length and width and sending it in. Says this often is where the downward movement in yield came from most of the times years prior but they no longer take that data. He said they got rid of that measurement 2 years ago.

Now this was a area 200 miles from my area. How much data are they still plugging in last years yields.

Take it for what its worth. Just in a conversation with several other farmers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)