AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What group should I put where?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

akweng
Posted 11/8/2016 21:49 (#5626419)
Subject: What group should I put where?

This year has been a change as I've finally found more grass to rent and have moved too my own farm instead of the home place that's always been our headquarters. I've got 65 spring calving cows with calves needing to be weaned and 45 fall calving cows.

For feed I have 320 acres and of good grass that is rotationally grazed and that 100 spring cows have been on all year. (Dad leases some of his cows to me for the summer) This pasture is also 20 miles from where I now live.
I also have 200 acres where I live that has 50 acres corn stalks with rye broadcast on this past week, 70 acres of bean ground that im planning on seeding to rye as soon as it drys up and the remaining is probably half grass half timber. I have 2, five acre pastures here that I could set up easily for lots to feed the weaned calves in.
The rental pasture that the fall cows are in is just about used up so they need to be moved soon or start feeding hay.
In the past we have always fed our spring calves until feb/ April At my dads place where we've always just fed a grain and hay ration in small pastures with very little grazing but this year I'm trying to keep costs down and graze as long as possible. So my question is which place would you go with each group?

Here's my thoughts, tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Wean calves and pull the spring cows from the320 rental pasture to put at my house on the 50 acres of stalks. They can utilize stalks and grass around edges as long as rye as it comes and are at home to calve
Leave weaned calves on good grass at the rental farm and then move the fall pairs to that farm as well but run them in separate paddocks.
When rye hits in the spring move calves home to graze rye and give the rental place time to regrow before spring cows go back.
What's your alls thoughts? Is it to much moving? We have a old ranch pot and 2 goosnecks so it shouldn't take to much time. I'm young and trying to learn best way of managing the resources at hand. In the past we've never had enough grass so always just feed hay like crazy until spring. Any input is appreciated thanks in advance!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)