AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WW1 Era Rural Ontario Photos ... Name That Town
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kawartha
Posted 10/31/2016 16:47 (#5610671)
Subject: WW1 Era Rural Ontario Photos ... Name That Town

Well, been diving deep into mystery boxes at the auction house again ... come upon these real photo postcards ... thought some might enjoy seeing them.

These were most certainly taken in small-town Ontario ... but which one? The town's identity is a mystery to me but I'll take a wild stab at it and suggest perhaps Walkerton in Bruce County. What do you Ontario agtalkers think, care to share your thoughts?

I have seen quite a few other photos along these lines ... looks like a CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) Battalion recruitment/training camp circa 1914,15,16. I would guess that at least a portion of this battalion's troops were billeted around town in the schools, armoury etc. with the unlucky over-flow getting the tents or even the livestock buildings within the fairgrounds. Seems the troops were mostly absent from camp on this day.

The thing that really strikes me about these photos is how substantial these fairgrounds were at that time, the agricultural community surrounding this small town must have been a strong one, the local agricultural society sure was well funded.

Edited by kawartha 10/31/2016 16:49

(CEF Training 1m.jpg)

(CEF Training 1n.jpg)

(CEF Training 1o.jpg)

(CEF Training 1e.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CEF Training 1m.jpg (104KB - 148 downloads)
Attachments CEF Training 1n.jpg (106KB - 170 downloads)
Attachments CEF Training 1o.jpg (127KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments CEF Training 1e.jpg (126KB - 163 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)