AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Healthcare question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BurkFarms
Posted 10/28/2016 16:53 (#5605204)
Subject: Healthcare question.

East Central Indiana
A lot of healthcare/insurance talk here lately.
Everyone in the Ag sectors seem to know its WAY out of whack.

Question is: is it having this affect on other sectors?
Personally it has taken the wind out of my family's dream. Wife and I are both college educated. We have 3 small children. She currently works 20 hours a week and after daycare expenses she basically works for insurance. I am blessed enough that I was able to start farming full time right out of college. We have worked hard, been able to purchase a couple farms, expand our acres some and have added livestock to diversify. Rent our house which we planned would help us pay off student loans. (It's not the massive numbers you hear a lot of people having.) we have mine paid off and now working on hers, while trying to save for future farm purchases and building a house. We both had hoped/planned then when our student loans were all paid off she could stay home with the kids. We have no credit card debt. Live pretty modestly and work hard.
Yet there is no feasible way to achieve our goal with the obomacare in place. It surely can't be just the Ag sector that is having similar situations.

Will obomacare have a trickle down affect of people saying "why should I work when Joe shmoe down the street has no job, no ambition, and has free insurance. While they are forced to work there tails off to either get insurance through a job or struggle and try and come up with $25k for premiums. Which would in turn eat into future retirements, less money for children's college funds and so on. Then the cycle continues with a whole new generation coming into the workforce with even higher student loan debt amounts because the money that could have helped with their school went to an insurance plan there parents had to have by law.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)