AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weaning nose flap update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 10/21/2016 20:03 (#5593519)
Subject: Weaning nose flap update

NS Canada
I mentioned the other day I'd write Dr. Joe Stookey, the Quiet wean guy - Asking about the claim that traditional weaned calves walk 25 miles in the first 2 days after weaning (as they pace the pens) and with noseflap use they only walk 10. My thoughts were that had to be pretty much standard mileage for their usual walking patterns on any given day, and he confirmed most cattle walk 4-6 miles a day, depending on your water/feed/salt mineral lay out.

So the 10 miles of walking after weaning isn't anything out of the ordinary, and its not the pacing, they move around as a group at times, but then break up and go back to regular eating and laying around.

I nose flapped on monday, and I pulled the cows today. Just stood outside for 10 minutes now and only heard one little moo in that time. Cows are bawling more, but they are well away from home. I had more lose their flaps this yr for some reason (smaller noses? ha) But they were confined to a yard and small pasture, so I found them laying on the ground, mostly around the bale feeders - mud or brush would have lost them though.

Even the ones that lost their flaps, and a couple I noticed cheating and managing to suck aren't bawling tonight. So I'd say even having the overall group relaxed helps those others.

Edited by Supa Dexta 10/21/2016 20:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)