AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm having to hand feed 8 wt. yearlings from kentucky
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

runningihred
Posted 10/4/2016 19:42 (#5563994)
Subject: I'm having to hand feed 8 wt. yearlings from kentucky

west central iowa
Last week I got 2 loads of steers from southern Iowa sale barn (132 head) and 1 load from Lexington, Kentucky. (68 head). All three loads were lot loads. Weights were 797 to 825. The iowa cattle went into 1 pen, the Kentucky ones to a different pen. The iowa cattle have been eating from the feed wagon 28 to 32 lbs. as fed and the Kentucky not so much. (less then 10). So back to the basics today. Long stem grass square bales down the bunk first, followed by (8) 5 gallon buckets of bio-fiber pellets, and lastly the feedwagon feed. Very very slowly are they coming around. All three of these loads were they right kind of cattle. Tall long and frame. I'd like to point out also... The iowa cattle cost $1.00 more / hundred weight. It's been 12 years since we've fed any southern cattle, and this is a reminder as to the reason why. I wanted to feed 2 pens of yearlings during harvest because they are "Suppose" to be easier then calves... but instead it's like starting a 400 lb bawling calf. I have stopped at the 200 head for now, but wanted to have 400 head last week. I need to see how the week goes before any more. As time past in the last 7 days the feeder cattle have gotten cheaper too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)