AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

And I thought I might get through calving with no major wrecks...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

KDK Herefords
Posted 10/3/2016 09:55 (#5561505)
Subject: And I thought I might get through calving with no major wrecks...

East Central, IA
I was down to my last couple stragglers. Have had zero problems so far. Thought things were going great...that's what I get for thinking.
Have been a little concerned about this first calf heifer. According to the ultrasound at preg check, she was supposed to have calved 2 weeks ago or so. At my walk through last night, she was off by herself with her tail stuck straight out. I thought, "Perfect! Weather is nice and dry. Good time to calve. I'll come back and check her in an hour and probably work her calf in the morning." That's what I get for thinking...
In an hour there was no progress. I gave her another 30 minutes. Water bag hanging out...that's progress. Got chains and OB stuff ready, just in case. 30 minutes later...still the same. Figured I better get her in the chute. Got her in the chute, got in her and felt two elephant feet and a hippopotamus head! I knew right away that there was no way that calf was coming out naturally in one piece. Calf was still alive at that time. Called Doc at midnight and got him out of bed, he was there by 1 AM. He confirmed my fears of a C-section. Fortunately, the heifer was pretty cooperative and we got the calf out...dead. Win some, lose some. Heifer was up on her feet by 2:30 and she looked ok this morning. She will go to town as soon as she is healed up and well over her withdrawal period. Got to bed @ 3:30. Lots of good black coffee at 5:30 this morning... Thanks to all the good vets out there who answer their cell phones at midnight...

(IMG_1323.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1323.JPG (165KB - 84 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)