AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover Crop Ahead of Next Year's Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 6/20/2016 23:51 (#5366957)
Subject: Cover Crop Ahead of Next Year's Corn

North Central Illinois
I have some mixed grass, clover, and alfalfa pasture that I am planning to rotate to organic corn next spring. It is less than 50% legume, so I will need additional nitrogen. My plan is to do a tilled fallow during the hot dry part of the summer to kill the sod since it has quite a few areas of quackgrass, then plant a cover crop that can be grazed this fall, or possibly in the spring. I would like to include a legume to produce additional N.

Here I am considering at the moment. Option 1 gets me the most feed, since I can graze it this fall. I could even drill rye into it around Nov. 1 after the cows are done grazing it. The other two choices would let me wait a little longer to terminate the existing sod though, and get additional grazing from that.

Option 1: Spring peas, oats, and brassica seeded in early August (I have done this without the peas in the past and been very satisfied with fall grazing on it). Can I expect a significant N credit from the peas for the subsequent corn crop?

Option 2: Crimson clover with a small amount of cereal rye seeded around Sept. 1st. I have had crimson clover overwinter before when I didn't intend for it to, but I have heard that it doesn't overwinter reliably here (just north of I-80).

Option 3: Hairy Vetch with a small amount of cereal rye seeded around Sept. 1st.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)