AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today was one of those days...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GangGreen
Posted 6/10/2016 07:06 (#5346761)
Subject: Today was one of those days...

Eastern Iowa
...a simple little job turned into an all day slog.

I spent 7 hours yesterday attempting to produce a five gallon bucket of calf creep feed for my kids' bottle babies. I am sure many of you will appreciate this:

1. Had to get a tractor to put on the mill off ofthe hay rake. Jack didn't work and it took some time to get it loosened up.
2. Bulk bin I was going to put creep into had old fat cattle protein in it from last fall I had forgotten about. It was hard as a brick.
3. Take side door off of bin hopper and poke at it with rebar until I can get it to flow. V-belt comes off. Find an acceptable replacement. Adjuster bolts siezed. Get those working, get v-belt tight. Get bulk bin working. Get rest of cattle meal in mixer mill.
4. Mill won't reach top of fat cattle protein bin, so I need another tractor and an auger. Auger is out in the pasture. Go get auger.
5. Go find ten year old to drive tractor and auger to the farm down the road where I keep the rest of the fat cattle protein.
6. Forgot hydraulic coupler on auger lift, head back home. Get adaptor to raise auger, get auger positioned over fat cattle protein bin.
7. Flow door on mixer mill open too far, now I've got a broken chain on the mill. Head home, fix chain, remove rear cover and free up auger.
8. Try again, still won't flow. Too wet and dense to move through beat up old mixer mill.
9. Remove rear cover and get mill up on blocks so I can swing hopper underneath and empty mill through access door.
10. Empty mill, now throw out bearing on unload slip clutch grinding.
11. Take down auger, send ten year old on his way. Head home to fix slip clutch.
12. Linkage shot, remove rod and build back up with welder. Replace.
13. Begin mixing creep feed.
14. Slide gate on corn bin won't open. Work on slide gate. Now it opens.
15. Finish mixing and unloading feed.
16. Get one five gallon bucket out of the bulk bin to the calves in their feeder by 6:30 pm
17. It's five oclock somewhere. Farm life really is as glamorous as it looks!

Edited by GangGreen 6/10/2016 07:27

(IMG_20160609_110311793_HDR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20160609_110311793_HDR.jpg (138KB - 87 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)