AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

After thoughts on Direct Injected post.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 5/11/2016 14:17 (#5295299)
Subject: After thoughts on Direct Injected post.

Beresford, SD
First congrats on your sale and weigh up. Thoughts. Is this common practice in Missouri, having calves at barn 4-6 days before the sale? From a buyers perspective I like calves hauled in the morning of the sale and in my starting pen the same day. The process of bringing calves (stress) letting them stand in a noise barn for 4-5 five days (more stress) and then sold and trucked to buyers yard = stressed out calves. A weaned yearling would handle this stress much better than bawling calf. (bawlers would be a disaster IMO). I feel this program worked out great for the seller (you) but I'd like to talk to the buyer 30 days from now. I feel this could be a recipe for shipping fever. There are a few barns in California that provide the same service......history has proven that this practice has produced quit a few train wrecks and those barns have a reputation of having higher death losses in the feedyards vs. barns that start taking calves in a day before the sale. I would much rather and bid up for empty, fresh calves that were hauled in the morning of the auction. Just my 2 cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)