AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying in the wind.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/9/2016 21:49 (#5291468)
Subject: Spraying in the wind.....

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have an elderly neighbor that has farmland adjoining a 40 of mine and also across a dirt road. The land is farmed by his son in law who lives elsewhere and farms a number of smaller parcels scattered around as things tend to be here.

This afternoon I was cleaning up my winter hay feeding area before the predicted rain coming tonight, with the storm coming it was very windy this afternoon. Here is the local airport data (8 miles away) from the NWS:

0914:35E 18 G 2810.00OvercastOVC0406637  35%NANA29.87NA 

This means May 9th (today) at 14:35 (2:35 pm) Winds were out of the east at 18 mph with gusts to 28 mph!!! And it was like this all afternoon!

I stopped to talk to him when he was filling his Hagie and asked him if it wasn't a bit windy to be spraying?  He said well he's got low drift nozzles, etc, etc.

I could not believe anyone would spray anything with the winds blowing the way they were....but he had to "get er done" and move his Hagie and semi nurse truck on to the next place....

I try to be a good neighbor but he is spraying right along my fence and across the road from my cattle.  Fortunately for me I was working on the upwind side of the fence.  If the wind had been blowing my way I would have had to be more forceful, to put it politely.

Farmers complain about all those "bad government regulations" and all those non-farm people who don't understand farming, etc...then go out and spray a cocktail of herbicides in 18 to 28 mph winds. It's not like it was an emergency weed situation. There were almost no weeds visible in the fields he was spraying so it must have been a long residual spray.

I'm venting here. 

Please don't spray in 18 to 28 mph winds.

Edited by Jim 5/9/2016 21:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)