AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3 phase hog feed line motors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 3/7/2016 14:04 (#5161327)
Subject: 3 phase hog feed line motors

cropsey, il 61731
One of my buildings has a "pat trying to save money" feed line set up where one line goes from 2 bins in tandem then feeds 2 other lines that go the length of the building. I was having trouble with the first feed line filling all the feeders before the 2nd line did (2nd line shuts off the feed system). It was fine up until the feed changed to ddg and everything else. So to fix this I slowed the bin line down with a 220 rpm gear box and sped up the first feed line with a 440 gear box (the last line is the standard 358rpm). It now works pretty good, but I have problem with the 440rpm line's motor overheating, tripping the overheat and it's a 1 1/2 hp motor.

I'm single phase and I do replace a fair share of motors. I would guess this is due to overall motor quality and rough service (hard starting conditions, humidity, dust, oinking pigs). I'm wondering if I can go to a 3 phase motor controlled by a VFD to get better starting performance and possibly dial in my own rpm. I would change back from the hard starting 440 rpm gear box to the typical 358 but increase my motor rpm using the VFD. I've done something like this on grain dryer roll motor, but that was going slow and not much power was required.

Anyone run this way? Do guys with 3 phase motors get along better with feed lines? thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)