AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the sky is not falling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 2/25/2016 12:05 (#5136634)
Subject: the sky is not falling

N FLA
Some folks pointed out below they are tired of the "sky is falling" posts. I just wanted to say I hope the exchange below, or at least my intent, wasn't considered in that manner. I don't mean to be the sky is falling guy. I'm simply trying to share what I see and hear around here. As discussed in previous times, we all have different strengths, opportunities and weaknesses. I had the opportunity to get more involved in cattle at this point of my life, I'm going to be 40 years old. We know getting in at the top can be a curse, and getting in at a bottom can be a blessing. No doubt you have lived this before. Also, some of you were in my position 50 years ago and current conditions are just a blip on the radar over that time. For many of us though, we are day to day. I couldn't bear the economic losses many suffered last year. That is just the facts; and many that suffered those losses couldn't bear it either, leading to the bankruptcy sales we see now. So relevant information is still relevant. If we can share, cuss, and discuss these topics, it is beneficial for some of us. And I hope we don't harass those of you with high equity and low costs that are in a position to weather and prosper, in any market.

Full Disclosure: I don't lay it out there much, but my sky is definitely not falling. Last year I think I sold 45 calves from throw away cows in May and June, and a big handful more in November on a good market. I sold about 40 cull cows in June and July, at some price over $1.10 per pound. That's not bad for me when my program was buy "700# @ 60 cents." That's peanuts to many of you I know, but my sky isn't falling.

Knock on wood, but right now, with a good marketing plan, and the dissolution of a partnership recently, I am in great shape whether the market goes up or down. I'll keep enough good quality cattle to stock some free summer grazing (to own a cow herd, and not just cows, as some put it), and be ready to go again next fall. Not sure any other way for a beginner to get involved, without taking on too much risk. Just wanted to get that off my shoulders.

Edited by puff33m 2/25/2016 12:12

(20160224_123209_001-1600x900.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20160224_123209_001-1600x900.jpg (140KB - 119 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)