AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting Edible beans in WI
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

HilltopGrain
Posted 1/25/2016 23:45 (#5064377)
Subject: Planting Edible beans in WI

WI
I have been looking into planting edible beans for awhile but I have some concerns as to why I would have to drive 125+ miles before you see any planted at all. What do they need to grow in comparison to regular soybeans? Are they difficult to maintain? Where do you market them to, what kind of yields on can a person expect under normal circumstances with lets say pinto, great northern, kidney & navy beans? Are we able to grow these in Central WI with heavy soil? How much of an upside is there compared to soys in the profit margin area figuring in lets just say $100/acre land rent. Do these get combined with a standard combine or is there special equipment needed for harvest? Another question, how about green beans? Hopefully there's someone close to my area that can answer some of my questions, especially on where to sell them, feasibility to grow them and possible profit margin over "food grade soybeans" because if your only making $0.25 over regular feed grade it doesn't pay for all the extra effort you have to put into food grade soys. There are a couple varieties that pay a bigger premium (up to the $3/bu range) but there harder to grow. Any info will be appreciated as I know next to nothing about those types of beans.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)