AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Share Milking
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sweetcorn70
Posted 10/9/2015 17:48 (#4831544)
Subject: Share Milking

Is there anyone on here who has been a part of a share milking arrangement--either as a beginning farmer or as one trasitioning out of the business? I am a young guy with a good job on a 200 head dairy. I have been looking for other opportunities for a long time and found a farmer that is quitting and has his farm for rent. The ad says cows, feed, and equipment are available until middle of november. I haven't called but am interested if he will work with me. A friend lives close and knows him and it sounds like he may be the type of guy who will help a guy get started. 120 cow setup, 350 acres, seems like an older setup but the ground is all close and I have family close enough to come help chop silage, haul manure, etc. I would like to ask him about share milking, which I understand is common in NZ. What is a common percentage when doing 100% of the work? 20%? 30% in a high labor setup? What about crop ground that is above and beyond what you would need for the herd? What is a good way to transition into owning the cows, equipment, and feed and maybe eventually land? I am just looking for ideas on what has worked for others. before I talk to him and make an offer that is totally insulting.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)