AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rebuilding bad old stair design
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 9/28/2015 04:23 (#4812441)
Subject: rebuilding bad old stair design

Old craftsman house had a bad set of stairs to basement. No washer or dryer down there, just furnace and water heater and little chance of finishing,,,ever,,,cause its a ledge style and part crawl.

OLD steps were 8" high and wide but tucked under each other so only 5" exposed in front. Going down felt more like descending a ladder. I cut all the old out and backed up 30 inches or so at the top and changed the door to straight on vs right angled.

Anyway my track record at cutting steps right first time isnt so good but probably from not being exactly able to calculate how much fall away slope is at the bottom extending the run.

I am figuring 2 bye ten steps on 2 bye 12 stringers. 95" of rise gets e 13 rises of 7.3 each I wish I could tread with 2 bye 12 but the run would get me into a ledge too close,,,,so have to settle for the 9.25 a ten will give me. Do I hang the 9.25 over the edge a bit? what effect on my depth notch then???

Any thing else I forgot? how do I get steps level and top connecting angle straight?As well as basement floor cut???

I already cut out one header joist as your coming down cause had to duck under,,,will alter dining room floor if more clearance needed. Whole steps are only 28 to 30" wide but cant change that much either,,,but it will be better than it was.

thanks for any help!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)