AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

farrowing question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

johndeere9500
Posted 9/18/2014 09:26 (#4080598)
Subject: farrowing question

Northern KY
Bought 3 sows from a neighbor last week, due to farrow in about 3 weeks. The guy I bought them from told me to just farrow them out in a 10x12 pen with a little straw bedding and let them be. He has raised hogs for 50 years so a lot of good advice from being around him since these are our first 3 I have been reading a lot on the interenet about farrowing crates vs. No farrowing crates. He told me with no farrowing crate just expect to lose a couple and this is how he has done it his whole life. I really prefer to not lose any if I can help to save as many as I can, just want to make sure I don't lose a lot. What is everybody's thoughts on this with me only having 3 just wanting to get opinions and the best way to do it. Whatever recommendations you have please give a little detail because these are the first I've owned.
Buying farrowing crates is probably out of the question because I would have to travel 2 to 3 hours to get any, so if I went with crates they would probably have to me made out of steel or wood, my fabricating skills are pretty good. Just need some details, measurements or pics to go off of. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)