AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can Am motorcycle repair/problem question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

billybob
Posted 7/1/2014 19:13 (#3946840)
Subject: Can Am motorcycle repair/problem question

1980 Can Am 250 Qualifier.  Bought used a couple of years ago.  Just ride the country roads for pleasure on Sundays.  Last year I refueled it and started up the drive and it just died.  Would not restart. Took it into a shop and they thought it was the carb.  Just put a new Bing 84 on today and it started first kick and idled well right out of the box.  There, that was not so bad.  Took it for a spin.  Went about 5-6 miles and was going along about 50 mph and it just died.  Back tire started to slide, gravel road, so I just pulled in the clutch and came to a stop.  Hmmmmmm.  Thought, I did not check the oil before I went out.  Hope I did not lock up the motor.  Nope.  It kicks over.  Hmmmmm.  After waiting for the wife to pick me up, 5 min. or so.  I went over and kicked it over.  Started, but did not idle to good.  Just shut it off.  Got it home.  Drained the oil, no dip stick on the bike, had just the right amount of oil in it, 40 oz., all well there.  Drained the fuel thinking maybe water in the gas or something.  Nope.  Fuel filter is as see through.   Looks good.  Did not pull the bowl off the bottom of the carb because you need to pull the carb off and did not want to go through all that.  Put the fuel back in after it set a while, did not see any water.  Did not put in the last 20 %.  Started, but did not idle to well, but it is a 2 stroke, not a Caddy. 

Question.  Do you think it could be electrical?  Like something gets warm/hot and then stops working electrically.  Let it set 5 min. and it fires again.  Wish I would have tried to started again today right after I pulled over to the side of the road. 

I guess I need to take it for a drive again tomorrow and have my wife follow me with the pick up and trailer. lol

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)