AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

coolant wont suck back into rad on C15 cat engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

poorboy
Posted 6/10/2014 00:50 (#3910910)
Subject: coolant wont suck back into rad on C15 cat engine

Southern Alberta
Have 2002 mt855 with c15 cat. Ever since I bought this tractor used, it will push the antifreeze out of the radiator as the tractor warms up and the antifreeze expands, but it wont pull it back out of the overflow tank. I have tried 3 new radiator caps and changed the hose and hose clamps between the radiator and the overflow tank, but still get same result. Has been doing this the whole time I have owned the tractor (1000 hours).

I put a hose on the radiator outlet and into a pail of water and watched the hose for 2 hours while pulling my air drill and there are no air bubbles coming out of the radiator. Usually the radiator is 2 inches down from the rad cap every day. Refill with antifreeze and its down 2 inches tomorrow. If I leave the level 2" down it will stay at that level if the outside temperature is cool and the tractor not working too hard. If it is a warm day and tractor working hard the radiator will drop from 2" to 4" below the rad cap.

There is no coolant in the oil or the fuel. There is no oil or diesel fuel in the coolant. Can't see any visible leaks and the exhaust seems to be dry and normal color. Tractor runs fine and has good power.

I have had it to the dealer and to a truck dealer to try and find out what is happening, but they struggle to get the motor hot enough for the coolant to push out into the overflow tank.

Any ideas???

Keep getting told that some motors do their own thing and to just live with it. My worry is that it is something small now and one day during seeding it is going to turn into a big problem and I wont have a tractor.

What would push the antifreeze out of the radiator and not generate bubbles? Or assuming it is normal coolant expansion, why won't it pull it back into the radiator as the coolant cools?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)