AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8870 hydraulic pump problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

monse
Posted 6/9/2014 21:42 (#3910607)
Subject: 8870 hydraulic pump problems

NE ND
Tractor hooked to my 1890 air drill. I turned a corner and headed back down the field when the fan suddenly stopped, won't lift discs, and loss of steering. Called dealership and they told me pump is shot. Broken shaft or pistons failed. I limp it home and change out pump. I spun the shaft on the charge pump with my hand and oil gushed out of the out port. I had a little time that night so I tore old pump apart. All the pistons were fine. Shaft was fine. Couple of the valves on the inside of the pump (not the ones with check balls) had some small flaking on the back side. Pump had some pieces of material inside it that resembled small steel pieces but were soft enough to crush with my fingers, almost like a bake-a-light material. Bottom line, I screwed up and jumped the gun and threw a new pump on and wasted 3K. Was in a hurry to get back to seeding as things are already 2 weeks late here. Put on a clean up filter and cleaned out the screen on top of the pump. There was very little material in the screen. That was as far as I went for clean up. I couldn't see that any thing could have gotten past the screen on the way out or past the oil filter on the way back in. Started back out with tractor but it now acts like it is starved for oil. Runs fan at about 3000 rpm but drops to 1500 when I try to lift the discs. Fan speed dips down any time the steering wheel is moved more than a quarter turn. I have not run any tests yet. Suppose to rain tomorrow so going to run it until then. One concern that I have is that I had to take a plug out of the destroking valve and replace it with my electric one. The plug had an o-ring and a back up ring on it. This is all that I took out. I replaced the plug with my electric valve. Is this right? Also, where did this material come from and what is it? It is softer than steel. Anyone run in to anything similar before? TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)