AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to minimize mold when baling wheat haylage and in-line tube-wrapping?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 4/12/2014 21:41 (#3812017)
Subject: How to minimize mold when baling wheat haylage and in-line tube-wrapping?

Mid-Missouri
Last year we mowed our wheat after heading with the intention to bale it dry. Due to wet weather, we baled it with moisture and tube-wrapped them inline. They were baled with a JD 568, tight, with net, about 5 feet high.

I am still feeding these bales but they are about all gone. The cows really like them over our grass hay, good grass hay. Having said that, there is a fair amount of mold on these bales. More than anything is what looks like white mold, especially between the bales in the line. There can also be some black and or red mold but very seldom. I have been concerned over the winter feeding these bales with some mold, but haven't had trouble and the cattle really like them.

What can I do to make better wheat haylage this year? I think I am going to buy a moisture tester. We line wrap them and push them tight. We have some but not many holes that developed over the winter in the wrap. Also, I would like to get this and other hay tested for feed value. Who do you recommend for that? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)