AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to apply wheat fertilizer in furrow with drill: Blend dry with wheat or use liquid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 2/8/2014 16:57 (#3673850)
Subject: How to apply wheat fertilizer in furrow with drill: Blend dry with wheat or use liquid?

Mid-Missouri
We grow SRWW and generally have a spreader truck apply MAP or DAP (IIRC) in front of the drill. If we can, we "work it in" with the Phillips harrow in front of the drill. The studies say wheat benefits from the fertilizer applied closer to the seed or in the furrow. I would agree with that especially this fall as the wheat was put in very late in central Missouri.

I am currently using a Great Plains 3000-3S. 30 ft, 3 section, 100 bushel capacity. It has three section shut-off via Greenstar. It seems I could blend our treated seed wheat with a dry fertilizer and utilize everything I have to do both seed and fertilizer at the same time. I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt germination and care would need to be taken to reduce equipment corrosion.
Another option would be having a liquid tank and apply it that way. Seed capacity would be retained but much more investment would be needed to purchase the liquid assembly.

What is your opinion?
Either way could yield more and save the cost of paying someone else to apply it in a less accurate way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)