AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auto Steer not always engaging
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/25/2013 06:43 (#3403794)
Subject: Auto Steer not always engaging

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a 2013 Deere 8310R which has an Integra with GeoSteer. The Geosteer communicates with the Deere system for steering through the CAN bus. To engage the steering I use the Deere rocker switch with the Steering Icon on it. This is a double throw switch. Pushing the front of the switch engages the steering, pushing the back of the switch activates the auto shift sequence.

For the most part the steering switch engages as expected. Unlike the Trimble setups that I have, the engagement seems to take place (after a short delay) when the switch is pushed rather than when released. I actually prefer the Trimble approach of engagement when the switch is released now that I have gotten used to it.

This combination of Integra/Geosteer works very well but there have been occasions where the switch does not seem to activate the steering. Generally pushing the switch again will cause it to engage. Pushing the switch on the back side always activates the auto shift sequence.

Yesterday I was closing some tile ditches which were short runs so I was using the autosteer switch quite often. About 95% of the time things worked as expected. Pushing the switch a second time usually got the system to engage. As I finished up the headlands which were longer runs, I had an occasion where the steering did not engage. I waited patiently before pushing the switch again. I tried this several times and was not able to get the steering to engage.

I steered manually and after I turned around I tried the switch again. This time the steering engaged as expected.

When the steering engages properly, the Integra beeps and the screen ICON turns green indicating the autosteer is engaged. During the troublesome times, no beeps are heard and the ICON does not turn green. Pushing the ICON on the display is not allowed with this combination of equipment.

One thought is an unreliable switch. All indications would seem to agree with this diagnosis.

I'm also wondering if possibly I'm holding the switch "too" long. Another thought is that the Deere side of things is "busy" during this time.

My brother drove the tractor the day before in a more typical situation of disk ripping. He experienced this same inability to engage at times also.

Anyone have any experience or advice on this situation?

Edited by tedbear 10/25/2013 06:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)