AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Our canola experiment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DT87
Posted 7/8/2013 20:53 (#3197985)
Subject: Our canola experiment

SC Kansas
Well, everything that I was told could possibly go wrong with our first canola crop did! The only thing that makes me feel better is most of it was Mother Nature. We didn't get it planted until September 18th, which was pretty late, but had no moisture to get it sprouted before then anyway. The next 3 days were 95+ and crusted the seed in, so we got a short stand. The first freeze of the year was about on our average, but was really hard, which thinned out the stand further. This spring, things were looking good with some much needed moisture, then we got all those late freezes. Then, as it was in full bloom, we got a major hail storm. It rebloomed and I thought we had a chance. My plan A was always to dissicate it and straight cut it, which we did. We had to cut it like beans, so windrowing it wasn't an option even if we wanted to. The final straw was from the day we sprayed it until we cut it 6 days later, we had 40+ mph winds all day, every day. There were not just seeds on the ground, but whole pods. I don't know what % shattered, but it was a lot. Our first canola crop made 10 bpa. We're going to give it another shot this year and are hoping to learn from Mother Nature what to do this year!

Edited by DT87 7/8/2013 20:54

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (65KB - 56 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (75KB - 46 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (77KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (85KB - 44 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (97KB - 61 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (82KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (47KB - 52 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)