AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some pics of cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IL cow man
Posted 5/5/2013 14:08 (#3081563)
Subject: Some pics of cows

Buffalo IL
The cows are in the same area of the pasture they were in when the blizzard hit. They haven't been fed hay or silage since the first few days of March. I'm regrazing now to give the overgrazed pasture to the east more time to recover. There was a huge stockpile here since the creek went dry in August last summer. The one picture of the cow shows she was a little too close to another cow. I forgot my tagger this morning so I'll tag the calf later today. I didn.t get this section cross fenced with the rain and because I hurt my foot and it was sore, but I think It will be OK being this early in the year just as long as the don't start regrazing.

This part of the pasture would never grow clover before but does now since it has been cross fenced and has been getting rest periods. That is what I was trying to show in the one photo.

The two pictures of the tractors are one I traded and the one I updated for. The discussion below is about buying used and brands. This is what I found when trying to trade for a BLUE/red tractor it would cost $10 more per hour, and another $10/hour to trade for a green one. The one I traded only lost $5000 in value on paper in 3000 hours of use. The real question on the discussion below that I have. Is the tractor cost being paid by the cattle? Just because a farming operation can cash flow equipment doesn't mean it can truly afford it. I have equipment I own for livestock that saves me money, but the cattle truly never paid for it. I keep trying to put more emphasis on the days I graze and don't need to supplement hay or silage. That case IH loader cow cost me a $1000/ cow when I bought it. I think I keep it around to remind me how stupid that was.

OH yeh, finally hit water. You can see the hole behind this one that was a dry hole. Still have to run electric and water line.

Edited by IL cow man 5/5/2013 14:43

(DSCN0111.jpg)

(DSCN0125.jpg)

(DSCN0126.jpg)

(DSCN0127.jpg)

(DSCN0128.jpg)

(DSCN0129.jpg)

(DSCN0130.jpg)

(DSCN0088.jpg)

(DSCN0131.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0111.jpg (48KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0125.jpg (57KB - 97 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0126.jpg (37KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0127.jpg (35KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0128.jpg (23KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0129.jpg (57KB - 88 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0130.jpg (37KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0088.jpg (45KB - 89 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0131.jpg (50KB - 102 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)