AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low supply voltage on EPM: Part 2 - Auxilliary power vs total 1910 power draw
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 5/5/2013 16:42 (#3081805)
Subject: Low supply voltage on EPM: Part 2 - Auxilliary power vs total 1910 power draw

We have a 2011 Case Steiger 400 that is pulling a 2011 JD 1770NT 24 row 30" planter with CCS, XP units, pro hoppers and SeedStarXP. The controlling monitor is a 2630. Behind the planter we're pulling a 2011 JD 1910 air cart. The controlling monitor for it is a JD 2600. Both units are provided position information via a NMEA string from a Leica auto-steer system. Both systems are receiving a simulated radar speed from a SkyTracker "hockey puck" GPS unit (one unit tied in to both harnesses). I have been struggling with low supply voltage to the electronic power modules on the planter ever since we switched to a red tractor and it makes life miserable in the field. I want to get to the bottom of it. Since I believe the problem could be from any number of harnesses, I'm going to make several small questions in separate threads. This paragraph (in blue) will be the same in all of the threads so if you read more than one part, feel free to skip the blue part next time.

Since we are pulling an air cart behind the planter we had to get switched power on the 7 pin connector to the air cart somehow. When we set it up, it seemed like the easiest way to do this would be to pull power from the auxiliary connector directly in front of the CCS tanks just on the left side of the sliding hitch mechanism.

As far as I can remember, this worked fine when we were pulling this tractor with a JD 8360R. For whatever reason we are getting low voltage errors now and I wonder if that power that's being drawn by the aircart is part of the problem. Does that auxiliary connector get its power from the same place that the EPM gets it's power? Could the air cart be pulling enough amps to push the EPM's too low on voltage draw? This is my primary suspect right now. I am planning on going to the tractor after I get done typing these up and running a big wire directly from a high amp switched power source that I've got wired in to the cab, back to the air cart 7 pin connector so that we're no longer drawing off the auxiliary connector at the center of the planter. Does this idea have any merit? Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)