AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Estate planning question........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Tnfarmer
Posted 12/11/2012 09:39 (#2745461)
Subject: Estate planning question........

tennessee
I posted in Agtalk Cafe about my brother finding out he has lymphoma yesterday. While that is my main concern at this point, there is also an issue with a farm we own together as tenants in common. I've tried through the years to get him to agree on some type of estate planning and he always just blew me off and didn't want to deal with it. Well now he's sick and has no health insurance and this farm is his only asset. I talked to a lawyer this Monday about all of this and he seem's to think we need to put the farm in a revocable living trust. I know there is gonna be a huge medical expense with all of his treatment to come. I know this should have been dealt with years ago before he was sick, but we're here now and need to do whatever I can to protect the property. This is a 300 ac. farm that was deeded to us when we were just kids. If he has a $500,000 medical bill, I simply can't pay it and he has no money. I'm scared to death for his well being and for the position I'm/we're in with this farm. This is where I live, my house is deeded off seperate. I don't want to look at a bunch of other houses out my front window in a year. My lawyer doesn't know that he has cancer at this point, we just found out last night. I'm gonna talk with him again today, but would like some other opinions on what is my best move now. I know it's a mess, but he is the type of person that you can't make do anything--I've tried to get this handled to no avail. Is my farm destined to be owned by someone else?(at least half of it).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)