AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

problem with Kinze 8-16 offset (I think, help?)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Minuteman Farmer
Posted 4/26/2012 22:30 (#2355467)
Subject: problem with Kinze 8-16 offset (I think, help?)

looking for some ideas on this one....have a new to us 7820 and we're pulling a Kinze 8-16 split row. When we swich to beans, we slide the drawbar over all the way to right. Have to re-meansure it but supposed to be 7.5 inches. One row marker is also extended 7.5 inches longer than the other when we do this. This allows us to plant right between the old corn rows and we do not put an offset in the 2600 for the autosteer (per dealer but makes sense). Here's the issue...does not seem like we can get the planter offset at the drawbar enough. Even with drawbar all the way to the right it doesn't seem like it's pulling offset 7.5", more like it's angled back towards centerline of tractor once you get back toward the middle of the planter.

Making a pass one way we're less than 15" on our spacing between the passes and going the other way we're more than 15" on our spacing. How much was kinda hard to measure in the field but it's at least a couple inches narrow or wide each pass. My 2600 is saying that we're exactly where we're supposed to be (and I believe it). Looks like i'm pretty close to being on top of the row marker as well, although if my offset on the drawbar is off so would my rowmarker gouge. Get's a little worse as from time to time because I can't get offset enough the guide wheels are running right on top of old corn stalks and putting beans on the ground instead of in the ground. Even if we turned off the auto steer and drove the old rows right where we're supposed too I don't think we'd solve the problem entirely.

So, how do I get exactly 7.5" of offset on my drawbar? Or is that even my issue? Does anyone sell a drawbar for this purpose? If I put my drawbar back straight, and put a 7.5" offset to the right into my 2600 would that fix it? Don't think I'd be able to use rowmarkers as a guide then would I.

Dad welded a small piece of metal to the right outside of draw bar so it wouldn't slop around, but less than a 1/2 inch so it doesn't slide over all the way to the right...that wouldn't impact it much would it? Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts and will surely be thinking of it till we get back on the tractor in the morning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)