AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

storage problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tc806
Posted 8/22/2010 19:14 (#1327479)
Subject: storage problem

Casey IL. ( I -70 ) then south on rt.49
It seems from listening to most of the post on here I am living in a very good location. The storage is not short, have all we want cost is .18 tell the 2011 Jan. 1. So that allows us to sell in to Jan. with no extra cost. The basis is .30 Witch sounds good for what I have read on hear, has been as low as .10 in May. I have sold about 25% of my corn and beans for fall, That gains me 1% on moisture over storage, witch they dry to 14%.
I have a small top dry - dryer, so I try to start picking at 25% and fill my storage at home. [ 20,000 bu.] is all I have, most every one around here does the same that has dryers. That usually gets us into 18%-20% corn, That cost about .08 -.12 to dry in town. Now I will try to sell a nother 20,000 for Jan. 2011 that gets every thing took care of but what is at home and that will be what I kind of play with for spring sales, try to be sold out and delivered by Mid. July. If not sold the elevator usually takes it on free open storage till Sept. 1, always sold out by then.
A lot of corn will start to be shelled in my area by or before Labor day, maybe 1st. week after.
I am not playing with crop that is making me money and can pay the bills, I just cann't chance it, but will play with the last part that is mine.
I have a 4.03 average on corn right now and a 10.05 on beans. If I see the market is going up then I try to buy calls to cover what is sold.
This is how I handle storage.
My opion is that storage is not cheap, and can go out of condion on you and then that cost more than the bin did.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)