AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manure application for those who strip till (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 4/11/2010 09:45 (#1158122)
Subject: Manure application for those who strip till (pic)

Blue Earth, MN
A big conversation topic this winter at various shows/education events was being able to strip till hog manure. We strip till and have hogs so naturally this topic has been of interest to me.

Last fall we were able to use Dawn 6000 coulters to apply some liquid hog slurry. Originally, we thought we would be able to run 6 units "straight" with the rows and then strip till 12 rows in the spring using the Pluribus units. Several factors quickly made me rethink that idea. Those being 1) implement drift of our tank leading to an imperfect guess row, 2) uneven distribution of manure to each unit leading to some rows being planted on "hot" zones, 3) since the 6000 unit was new, I wasn't sure how the "zone" would look come spring and wasn't sure how the Pluribus would perform going down the same zone. Regarding #3, we tried a knife type injection one fall on about 40 acres and thought we would run the Pluribus over the top of the zones come spring. As it turned out, the knife created too much of a valley and it didn't strip very well. We wanted to avoid that issue.

Thus I decided to run the manure applicator at about a 5-7 degree angle across the bean stubble. Then strip till straight in the spring. That seemed to work pretty well last fall. I went to that field a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised where I had gone with the 6000. It will strip up beautifully this spring and plant very nicely.

Here is a pic showing what that field looks like. I should note, the beans were planted into fall made strips into the corn stalks so the residue levels were pretty descent.

(6000_spring view.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 6000_spring view.jpg (49KB - 458 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)