AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking to the Agronomists here...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FutureAgronomist
Posted 12/14/2009 16:44 (#966092)
Subject: Looking to the Agronomists here...

Central Iowa

I have some questions that I would like to throw out here and get some feedback on....

I'm 36 and looking for a career change. I grew up in central Iowa and my family has sold off the farm that my grandparents started. (We lived in town and not on the farm.) I've been involved in sales for most of my life after the military, but I've decided that I want to go back to school (Iowa State) and pursue a degree in Agronomy. Some of the biggest challenges we face is a growing worldwide population, increased consumption, etc......and I want to be part of the solution. I've noticed that there are several career paths within agronomy, such as equipment or seed sales, crop consulting, or research. I'm not really wired to be in a lab all day mapping corn genomes...I see myself out in the field helping farmers dial in their individual outfit. 

I guess my questions revolve around job outlooks for crop consultants and if there's decent money in that area (comparatively-speaking with equipment or seed sales)...and since I'm a little older than the kids coming out of college, should I just plow through and get an advanced degree? Would that level the field a bit? Should I have an advanced degree as a consultant? Any feedback would be HUGELY appreciated. If I can smooth out my learning curve a bit before diving in, I think it'll save me time and money in the end.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)