AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wheat-on-wheat no-till and volunteer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

geekyfarmer
Posted 9/27/2009 13:08 (#862186)
Subject: wheat-on-wheat no-till and volunteer

NC Kansas
After reading the post below about problems with neighbors who won't take care of volunteer, it got me to thinking about my own success with wheat-on-wheat no-till.

My program is to burn down right after harvest (catches broadleaf annuals after the spring treatment wears off), again a month or so later (catches the lion's share of volunteer and late germinating broadleaves), and once more a week before planting (last few spears of volunteer and germinating annual grasses, bindweed, and winter annual broadleaves). Planting date is around October 1, give or take a week.

Would I be wasting money to drop 4 oz. of Pilot (Lorsban generic, $3/a.) in the last mix? Last spray always catches just a little volunteer. I haven't had big problems with foliar disease in the past, but there's always a little, and not just around the edges. Will the Pilot take care of curling mites? Is there something else in addition to fungicide that I should be applying?

This is an attempt to even out my yields. Last year, the no-till continuous wheat ranged from mid 60's to mid 40's. Planted in the same few day period, same fertility, same place in the rotation, same soil groups, same rainfall. It's a beans-wheat-wheat-milo rotation, so there's really no time to build up soil diseases.

Any help would be appreciated!

GF
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)