AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freak beans (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bookmark
Posted 9/11/2009 01:19 (#842390)
Subject: Freak beans (Pics)

Princeton, In
With all the soybean pod pics being posted lately, I decided it was time to figure out this photo posting thing and post a couple I've found over the years.

The first couple pics are from 1994. This was a 4.3 maturity variety grown in 7 1/2's. It was in the area where I had loaded the sprayer and I wonder if the combination of mechanical damage from the sprayer and "burn" from post-applied herbicides (Reflex I think) caused the plant to lose apical dominance and branch as heavily as it did. This plant had 533 pods that it filled. BTW, seed from this plant was grown out the following year, the same herbicides were applied, and it grew like a normal soybean.

The next three pics are from this year. I found this bean growing on top of a pile of dirt we had dumped on the north side of a building this spring. This plant has 584 pods that it has filled. It had another plant with it that had close to as many pods and one more that was more "normal". Most surprising thing about this plant to me is visible in the last pic. It has no nodules. Beats me how a plant could produce like that, in the shade, with no nodulation. Guess it shows how much the soybean plant is capable of if the conditions are right. Must have been a REAL good backhoe bucket full of dirt,.

Not trying to steal anybody's thunder or anything, just thought some of the "crop geeks" (like me) on here might be interested. It was also time to learn to post pics. Now if I can figure out to post the pics within the body of the text......Mark

(1 001a.jpg)

(3 001a.jpg)

(IMG_0061a.jpg)

(IMG_0064a.jpg)

(IMG_0070a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 001a.jpg (84KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments 3 001a.jpg (75KB - 99 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0061a.jpg (62KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0064a.jpg (70KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0070a.jpg (54KB - 98 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)