AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

smelly shop drain pit.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 5/26/2024 15:14 (#10752307)
Subject: smelly shop drain pit.....

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
6 years ago I bought a small building that used to be a auto body shop. is now my retirement shop. Cleaned out the floor drain pit, scrubbed it out good, refilled it full with 14 gallons of water, and added one quart of bleach. So now every 4-6 weeks walk into the shop, sniff, sniff, time to clean out the floor drain pit again. Have a sump pump I drop in there, pump it out, refill with fresh water and pump that out a couple of times, pull the pump out, refill with fresh water and another quart of bleach, good for another 4-6 weeks. A PVC pipe, with a 90 degree elbow pointed down, serves as the drain pipe, and is always below the water level, so sewer gas is not the problem. So source of the smell has to be the 14 gallons of water in there. Only thing added to that pit is the water from the dehumidifier in the summer time. ( It seems to me I have more trouble in the summer, I assume that the dehumidifier water is diluting my bleach mixture.)

Shop smelled fine Friday, smelled Saturday, so i did the whole routine, opened all the doors, nice breeze thru building, airred it out completely, and now Sunday it smells as if i had done nothing, for the first time in 6 years. Think tomorrow I will drain that pit totally, and scrub it out with a boot brush.

So, any suggestions of:

A) what to use to tomorrow to scrub it out with? Dawn soap, Pine Sol, what else?

B) what to pour into the 14 gallons of water, other than bleach? (Won't be bleach and ammonia, which creates chlorine gas and can kill you.)

Thank you in advance. Bruce.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)