AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shallower Fertilizer Placement in Strip-Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Luke Skywalker
Posted 8/7/2009 18:33 (#803362)
Subject: Shallower Fertilizer Placement in Strip-Till

Arva, Ontario

This hasn't crossed many of your radars yet, but in my part of the world where we make strips primarily in wheat stubble, this will soon be front and center.

The issue: We have a Redball striptill machine with a pneumatic cart blowing on either 11-52-0 plus 0-0-60, or just straight 11-52-0. Ontario research shows that fall banded P&K has poor response compared to an equivalent planter banded (2x2) application. Our extension staffer has suggested that the 6" deep band behind the shank "hides" the fertilizer from the little seedlings in our cool spring soils. Having encountered a backwards (cool and damp) spring, I tend to agree. Digging up plants, we had lots of roots extending out radially, but few had gone below 3 or 4" deep by the time corn had 7 leaves. I would like to place my fertilizer closer to the surface (in the fall) to mimmick the 2x2 spring planter band.

The question: Has anyone either modified a fertilizer delivery spout on a shank type stripper for much shallower placement, gone to a diffuser and dropped it on top of the ground where the berming coulters will lightly incorporate it, or even dropped it on top of the finished berm?

The caveat: No need to discuss the merits of strips, rate reductions, or that I own a Redball. Stick to the question, please.

Thanks,

Luke     aka Ken

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)